The one thing we love about Canberra is it’s festivals. Enlighten 2016 and the Night Noodle Markets always get us into a frenzy. Held from 4 to 12 March, Enlighten 2016 is a stunning festival with culture and creativity illuminating the capital. When architectural projections and an array of food is combined, you know that one night around the Parliamentary Triangle is not going to be enough. And people say Canberra is boring! Hah!
Day one saw us attend a VIP launch of the Night Noodle Markets. We didn’t stay for the light up because we have a yearly tradition to see it with Angie and her beautiful family. So day two arrives and we pack our picnic mats, load up on water bottles and set out to see the projections transform our gorgeous city. We also got to sample several more bites from the markets too.
What did we like the best?
- Our favourite architectural projection was on Questacon. Joseph especially loved the spider projection.
- The Zebras (Born in a Taxi) were a hilarious bunch. They kept everyone entertained with their quirky moves.
- Right out of a silence-fiction movie, The Gastropodia (Kinectic Theatre) enchanted both children and adults alike. I was rather transfixed on their toes. You will know why when you see them.
- Solar Bugs! They were so graceful despite being on stilts. We was mesmerised by their dance.
- Must tries in the Night Noodle Markets: (1) Strawberry Watermelon Cake from Black Star Pastry (2) Pandan Egg Tart and Coconut Curry Noodles from Miss Van’s Food (3) Chicken and Chorizo Paella from Span Thai (4) Ferero Gelato from N2.
Enlighten 2016 is more than just electrical canvases, food markets and immersive performances. There are art installations, music performances, late night openings, exhibitions, tours and workshops. For a full list of details visit their official website.