Face-to-Face with the Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an

by Rosemarie John on October 5, 2014

5 of 6
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to read on and view more photos!

Pit 2

Xian20-RJohn

Vault Two stands about 20 meters north to Vault One. As the highlight of the whole mausoleum, it uncovers the mystery of the ancient army array. It consists of four units, measuring 94 meters east to west and 84 meters south to north and 5 meters deep, forming a 6000 sq. meter built-up area. Ref: China Highlights. 1998. The Terracotta Army. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.chinahighlights.com/xian/terracotta-army/. [Accessed 05 October 14].

Xian21-RJohn

The first unit contains rows of kneeling and standing archers; the second one is a chariot war array; the third unit consists of mixed forces with infantry, chariot and troopers standing in rectangular array; and the last one includes numerous troopers holding weapons. The four units form a rigorous battle array. Ref: China Highlights. 1998. The Terracotta Army. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.chinahighlights.com/xian/terracotta-army/. [Accessed 05 October 14].

Pit 3

Xian29-RJohn

Vault Three is the smallest of all and measures 17.6 meters east to west and 21.4 meters south to north and the bottom of the pit varies from 5.2 meters to 5.4 meters below ground level. It’s obvious that Vault Three was built to be the command post for the soldiers in other pits. The three vaults stand like an equilateral triangle. Ref: China Highlights. 1998. The Terracotta Army. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.chinahighlights.com/xian/terracotta-army/. [Accessed 05 October 14].

5 of 6
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to read on and view more photos!

Angie @ GnomeAngel.com October 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

This is one of the few places on Earth that captivated me as a child. I dreamed of one day seeing these and wrote a massive essay on them when I was in Primary School. I still haven’t managed to get there (one day) so I loved reading about your experience with them. I love the fact that they included everything an army would need – those horses are amazing. Just the skill alone… Love!
Angie @ GnomeAngel.com recently posted…TIME TO LINK YOUR DILLY BAG PROGRESSMy Profile

Rosemarie John October 6, 2014 at 12:59 am

When the Terracotta exhibition came down to Singapore, I was dying to go and kept pushing it to another date thinking I will eventually go. The exhibition came and went and I had not seen them. I was disappointed in myself for not making time. But this experience has redeemed everything!

Lizzy (Good Things) October 6, 2014 at 12:58 am

Amazing!

Carolyn - Holidays to Europe October 10, 2014 at 5:52 am

Aren’t the Terracotta Warriors amazing?!! I loved my visit to Xi’an and just like you was mesmerised by the terracotta statues.

I can’t believe your visit was put on hold by Robert Mugabe, though – that’s amazing!
Carolyn – Holidays to Europe recently posted…Why do single travellers have to pay a supplement?My Profile

Rosemarie John October 10, 2014 at 7:58 am

I know right! I was like how long does a President take to view all 3 pits?? Then I realised they had cordoned off the area way before he even arrived! Sigh….

Heather October 12, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Great photos! It really is an impressive sight, isn’t it? Our visit coincided with that of the supposed farmer who unearthed them, who was there signing autographs and selling books. Thankfully we didn’t have to wait in the sun for four hours for him!

Did you make it to the Shaanxi History Museum while you were there? It has an outstanding collection of the warriors on display and you can get unbelievably close to them!
Heather recently posted…Sigulda, Latvia: Medieval Castles Amid Autumn LeavesMy Profile

Rosemarie John October 12, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Yes I sure did! The Shaanxi History Museum was awesome but it was also very very crowded. 🙂 I suddenly realised that we may have been travelling around Xi’an during local Chinese school holidays!

Muza-chan November 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Interesting…
Muza-chan recently posted…Old traditional Japanese merchant houseMy Profile

Joe Louis November 17, 2014 at 5:28 am

I was surprised by the sheer number of soldiers! Great sight to see!

J.R. Duren May 5, 2015 at 8:07 pm

This is an amazing cultural treasure….I haven’t been there but I would love to go. Sites like this give us such a unique look into the cultures that came before us. Fascinating!