It’s Official… We’re Moving to Australia!

by Rosemarie John on November 8, 2013

Well… it’s now official. We are moving to Canberra, Australia! We made a short trip to the capital region to make things official before we make our final and permanent move in the next 6 months or so. Our maiden experience of this lovely city was during springtime and we had just missed theΒ Floriade but Canberra, being the city of festivals didn’t disappoint. We managed to experience the Nara Candle Festival on October 26th.

After an entire day of formalities, we headed to the Nara Peace Park and Lennox Gardens situated right behind the Hyatt Hotel. It was after all our first official sight seeing since arriving. The crisp fresh air and the cool winds against our faces was intoxicating. Large coniferous trees doted the park and the merry locals thronged there with their picnic baskets and mats. A festive atmosphere indeed!

The Canberra Nara Candle Festival has been held annually since 2003 celebrating the anniversary of the Sister City relationship with Nara, Japan. The festival was filled with performances, Japanese food stalls and 2,000 shimmering candles. Joseph and I spent time walking along Lake Burley Griffin, soaking in the atmosphere of our new home. It was so serene. A fresh change from the smoke and dust filled air of South-East Asia.

Like Singapore, Canberra is a well thought up city with lakes and tonnes of greenery. Their roads are wide and streets are laden with sweet smelling trees. Interestingly the beautiful Lake Burley Griffin is actually man-made. In the early 6os’ it was fashioned out of the original Royal Canberra Golf course which now lies underneath the lake. The part of the Golf course that was not filled with water was named Lennox Gardens.Β  The lake is breathtakingly beautiful and serves as a perfect backdrop for the many fun-filled activities that are staged by the city.

So here we were, sampling the awesome Japanese food and taking everything in as we realise how beautiful our new home is going to be!

NPP2-RJohn

The Nara Peace Park and it’s many food stalls!

Me1-RJohn

It was such a beautiful festival… a happy me!

NPP3-RJohn

The park sits along Lake Burley Griffin

NPP1-RJohn

The Beef Rice was a hit… I was one of the last few to get a helping before it ran out.

NPP5-RJohn

The park begin to fill as the sun set…

NPP4-RJohn

The Canberra Nara Candle Festival shares the values of peace and goodwill and is a celebration of the Canberra Nara Sister City relationship.

Us1-RJohn

Joseph and I with our first photo together in our new home… Canberra!

The Canberra Nara Candle Festival is held in Canberra around October each year, and has grown in popularity showing the warm regard that Canberrans have for Nara and the lively interest Australians have in all aspects of Japanese culture. Highlights of the festival include Japanese food and cultural activities such as calligraphy, origami, lantern-making, martial arts demonstrations and entertainment. The centrepiece of the festival is a display of 2000 candles which are lit at dusk by festival volunteers. Click here for more information on theΒ event

Monica November 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

How exciting. I can’t wait to hear more about Canberra. It seems like most people just pass through but there must be something exciting there considering it’s the capital of Australia!

Rosemarie John November 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Hi Monica… Yes you are spot on. Most people don’t spend enough time in Canberra. Hopefully with our move, we can explore all the city has to offer πŸ™‚

Ayngelina November 10, 2013 at 6:49 am

Congrats and good luck to you guys!
Ayngelina recently posted…How to Make Pancetta in 30 SecondsMy Profile

Rosemarie John November 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

Thank you Ayngelina! πŸ™‚

Michela @Rocky Travel Blog November 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

What a great news, Rose! I am happy for you and wish you all the best!
Michela @Rocky Travel Blog recently posted…Adelaide top 10 cities of the world to visit in 2014My Profile

Rosemarie John November 11, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Thank you for your kind words Michela!

Luke January 28, 2014 at 8:12 pm

I hope you are ready for winter in Canberra!
Luke recently posted…Visa Requirements For IndonesiaMy Profile

Rosemarie John January 29, 2014 at 1:20 am

I hope all our travels during winter will help us in Canberra πŸ™‚ are you based in Canberra Luke?

Luke January 29, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Hey, I am currently in Colombia, but I am from Australia. I grew up in Tasmania and the winters there are crazy cold! I have been to Canberra twice in winter and it is even colder there than Tasmania!

Rosemarie John January 30, 2014 at 3:43 am

Oh my!! I was thinking of sending my winter wears over by courier later on since we are arriving in Canberra during autumn, I think I’m going to change my packing plans. Thank you for the head’s up Luke!

Jean | Holy Smithereens May 24, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hi Rosemarie and Joseph, I just discovered your blog and now look forward to following it.
I lived in Canberra the first 3 years when I moved to Australia. It’s quite pleasant though abit too cold (in both sense of the word) for me. Congratulations on the move and I look forward to seeing what’s happening in Canberra πŸ™‚
Jean | Holy Smithereens recently posted…Resort Review: Huvafen Fushi MaldivesMy Profile

Rosemarie John May 26, 2014 at 12:13 am

Hi Jean, Thanks for dropping by. We have been here about three weeks now and loving it. It going to be a huge start for us setting up home and what not, but it will be a lot of fun. πŸ™‚