Photo Story: The Colours of Manhattan

by Rosemarie John on May 12, 2012

Located at the mouth of the Hudson River, Manhattan is considered the most densely populated of the five-boroughs of New York City. Whether you approach the city from the water or view the city from several feet above street level, the first thing that strikes you are the brown and metallic colour buildings that make up the cityscape. Their uniformity in colour and shape do not prepare you for what exists between its streets.

Greeting visitors at eye-level are psychedelic neon lights, vibrant billboards, bright yellow taxis and vendors selling colourful merchandise by the roadside. You suddenly feel transported into a completely different world that offers a myriad of things to observe… all at once. Here are some photos to give you a feel of what the Big Apple looks like whether rain or shine.

New York cityscape

City streets – view from the Empire State Building

42nd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues at dawn

Times Square in the morning

The streets a dotted with yellow cabs everywhere you look!

The streets a dotted with yellow cabs everywhere you look!

The famous Macy’s windows at 34th Street

Hard Rock Cafe opens for breakfast at 8am – 1501 Broadway

New York City at nightfall…. still buzzing with people even with the rain!

Charu May 13, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Nice photos! Yes, the colors of Manhattan are truly inspired, and the energy as well. Next time you’re in town would love to meet! xoxo

Rosemarie John May 14, 2012 at 1:52 am

Thank you Charu! And yes I would love to meet up the next time I’m in town! 🙂

blackchecks May 29, 2012 at 2:22 am

Beautiful photos! love how its so bustling with life there! how did you travel there? via holiday packages? I am looking at some from insing as I am planning to travel to USA!

Rosemarie John May 29, 2012 at 3:21 am

Thank you! I did my own research and picked my hotel and planned my trips around the city. Although holiday packages may be great, at times it doesn’t allow for freedom of choice. 🙂

CE Papas the merrymaker sisters June 3, 2014 at 8:20 am

We’re off to NYC in September and so glad to see all your NYC based posts! We’re going to have fun reading these ones! Thanks Rose and Joseph! 🙂 🙂 e + c
CE Papas the merrymaker sisters recently posted…Easy Paleo Chicken Curry In a Hurry.My Profile

Rosemarie John June 3, 2014 at 9:37 am

Hi Carla and Emma! You are going to love NYC. I long to return… So I look forward to your posts and shall live vicariously through you gals!